I am an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University, and co-director of TABI (Text Analytics and Bioinformatics) Lab. I'm also a member of the AILAB. My research interests include text mining, information retrieval, information extraction, natural language processing, and bioinformatics.
I joined the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University in 2011. Prior to that I worked in the Faculty of Computer and Informatics at Istanbul Technical University between 2010-2011. I received my Ph.D. degree in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA in 2010. I hold an M.S. degree and a B.S. degree in Computer Engineering from Bogazici University.
- "Expanding Machine Translation Training Data with an Out-of-Domain Corpus using Language Modeling based Vocabulary Saturation" with Burak Aydın is accepted to AMTA 2014.
- "A Graph-based Approach for Contextual Text Normalization." with Cagil Sonmez is accepted to EMNLP 2014.
- "Analyzing Stemming Approaches for Turkish Multi-Document Summarization." with Muhammed Yavuz Nuzumlali is accepted to EMNLP 2014.
- "Detection and Categorization of Bacteria Habitats using Shallow Linguistic Analysis." with Ilknur Karadeniz is accepted to BMC Bioinformatics.
- "Bayesian Pathway Analysis of Cancer Microarray Data" with Melike Korucuoglu, Senol Isci, and Hasan H. Otu is accepted to PLOS ONE.
- Teaching CMPE 150 - Introduction to Computing (C) and CMPE 493 - Introduction to Information Retrieval in Fall 2014.