I am an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University, and co-director of TABI (Text Analytics and Bioinformatics) Lab. I'm also a member of the AILAB. My research interests include text mining, natural language processing, and bioinformatics.
I joined the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University in 2011. Prior to that I worked in the Faculty of Computer and Informatics at Istanbul Technical University between 2010-2011. I received my Ph.D. degree in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA in 2010. I hold an M.S. degree and a B.S. degree in Computer Engineering from Bogazici University.
- "Automated Neuroanatomical Relation Extraction: A Linguistically Motivated Approach with a PVT Connectivity Graph Case Study." with Erinc Gokdeniz and Resit Canbeyli is accepted to Frontiers in Neuroinformatics.
- "Towards Building a Political Protest Database to Explain Changes in the Welfare State." with Cagil Sonmez and Erdem Yoruk was presented by Cagil at the LATECH Workshop at ACL 2016.
- "Ontology-based Categorization of Bacteria and Habitat Entities using Information Retrieval Techniques." with Mert Tiftikci, Hakan Sahin, Berfu Buyukoz, and Alper Yayikci was presented by Mert at the BioNLP-ST Workshop at ACL 2016.
- "A comparative study of SMILES-based compound similarity functions for drug-target interaction prediction." with Hakime Ozturk and Elif Ozkirimli is accepted to BMC Bioinformatics.
- "Identifying Topics in Microblogs Using Wikipedia." with Ahmet Yildirim and Suzan Üsküdarli is accepted to PLoS ONE.
- Serving as an editorial advisory board member for Elsevier's new open access multi-disciplinary journal Heliyon.
- "Segmenting Hashtags using Automatically Created Training Data." with Arda Celebi is accepted to LREC 2016. The developed hashtag segmentor is available here.
- "Sentence Similarity based on Dependency Tree Kernels for Multi-document Summarization." with Saziye Betul Ozates and Dragomir Radev is accepted to LREC 2016.
- "Named Entity Recognition on Twitter for Turkish using Semi-supervised Learning with Word Embeddings." with Eda Okur and Hakan Demir is accepted to LREC 2016.
- Teaching CMPE 150 - Introduction to Computing (C) and CMPE 561 - Natural Language Processing in Spring 2016.