I am an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University, and co-director of TABI (Text Analytics and Bioinformatics) Lab. I'm also a member of the AILAB. My research interests include text mining, information retrieval, information extraction, natural language processing, and bioinformatics.
I joined the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University in 2011. Prior to that I worked in the Faculty of Computer and Informatics at Istanbul Technical University for a year. I received my Ph.D. degree in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 2010, with Dragomir Radev as my advisor. During my Ph.D. studies I worked as a research assistant at the National Center for Integrative Biomedical Informatics (NCIBI). I hold an M.S. degree, with Ethem Alpaydın as my advisor, and a B.S. degree in Computer Engineering from Bogazici University. Curriculum Vitae.
- Our paper "Self-training a Constituency Parser using N-gram Trees" with Arda Celebi is accepted to LREC 2014.
- Teaching Cmpe 150 - Introduction to Computing (C) and Cmpe 59H-Bioinformatics in Spring 2014.
- Teaching Cmpe 150 - Introduction to Computing (C) and Cmpe 561-Natural Language Processing in Fall 2013.
- Attending the ACL Conference and the BioNLP Workshop in Sofia, Bulgaria (August 2013).
- Participated in the Bacteria Biotopes Task of BioNLP-ST 2013, with İlknur Karadeniz.
Bacteria Biotope Detection, Ontology-based Normalization, and Relation Extraction using Syntactic Rules, BioNLP Shared Task Workshop 2013.
- Attending Cicling (Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics) in Samos, Greece. (March 2013)
- "N-gram Parsing for Jointly Training a Discriminative Constituency Parser", with Arda Çelebi. CICLING 2013.
- "Word Polarity Detection using a Multilingual Approach", with Cüneyd Murad Özsert. CICLING 2013.
- "PHISTO: Pathogen-Host Interaction Search Tool", with Saliha Durmuş Tekir, Tunahan Çakır, Emre Ardıç, Ali Semih Sayılırbaş, Gökhan Konuk, Mithat Konuk, Hasret Sarıyer, Azat Uğurlu, İlknur Karadeniz, F. Erdoğan Sevilgen, and Kutlu Ö. Ülgen. Bioinformatics 2013.
- Participated in the SemEval 2013 Shared Task on Sentiment Analysis in Twitter, with Nadin Kökciyan, Arda Çelebi, and Suzan Üsküdarlı.
"BOUNCE: Sentiment Classification in Twitter using Rich Feature Sets", SemEval 2013.
- Teaching Cmpe 150 - Introduction to Computing (C) and Cmpe 59K-Information Retrieval in Spring 2013.
- Project on "Jointly Self-trained Parsers" funded by BAP. 2013.
- TABI (Text Analytics and Bioinformatics) Lab established. Thanks to Arda Çelebi for designing the web page.2012.