I am an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University, and co-director of TABI (Text Analytics and Bioinformatics) Lab. I'm also a member of the AILAB. My research interests include text mining, information retrieval, information extraction, natural language processing, and bioinformatics.
I joined the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University in 2011. Prior to that I worked in the Faculty of Computer and Informatics at Istanbul Technical University between 2010-2011. I received my Ph.D. degree in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA in 2010. I hold an M.S. degree and a B.S. degree in Computer Engineering from Bogazici University.
- Serving as an editorial advisory board member for Elsevier's new open access multi-disciplinary journal Heliyon.
- "GLASS: a comprehensive database for experimentally-validated GPCR-ligand associations." with Wallace K. B. Chan, Hongjiu Zhang, Jianyi Yang, Jeffrey R. Brender, Junguk Hur, and Yang Zhang is accepted to Bioinformatics.
- "Question Analysis for a Closed Domain Question Answering System." with Caner Derici, Kerem Çelik, Ekrem Kutbay, Yigit Aydin, Tunga Güngör, and Günizi Kartal is accepted to CICLing 2015.
- "A Review on Computational Systems Biology of Pathogen-Host Interactions." with Saliha Durmus, Tunahan Cakir, and Reinhard Guthke is accepted to Frontiers in Microbiology.
- "Classification of Beta-Lactamases and Penicillin Binding Proteins Using Ligand-Centric Network Models." with Hakime Ozturk and Elif Ozkirimli is accepted to PLoS ONE.
- "Development and Application of an Interaction Network Ontology for Literature Mining of Vaccine-associated Gene-Gene Interactions." with Junguk Hur, Zuoshuang Xiang, and Yongqun He is accepted to the Journal of Biomedical Semantics.
- "Detection and Categorization of Bacteria Habitats using Shallow Linguistic Analysis." with Ilknur Karadeniz is accepted to BMC Bioinformatics.
- Teaching CMPE 150 - Introduction to Computing (C) and CMPE 59H - Bioinformatics in Spring 2015.