Albert Ali Salah
Assoc. Prof., Department of Computer Engineering,
34342 Bebek, Istanbul, Turkey
phone: +90 212 359 7774
My Events and Announcements
- (in Turkish) Multeciler icin Buyuk Veri Yarismasi (Data for Refugees Challenge) ile ilgili soylesi Meraklisina Bilim platformunda yayinlandi.
- We are organizing the 21st Inf. Conf. on Speech and Computer (SPECOM) and the 4th Int. Conf. on Interactive Collaborative Robotics (ICR)
at Bogazici University between 20-25 August 2019. Our first three keynotes are announced as Vanessa Evers, Hynek Hermansky and Odette Scharenborg. The deadline for
submitting papers for SPECOM is 15 April 2019. If you have ideas about
organizing a special session, please contact Heysem Kaya.
- (in Turkish) Sarkac'ta 2 Kasim'da yayinlanan "Otonom Arabalar ve Ahlak" yazim yuzbinlerce kisi ile yapilmis bir deneyi anlatiyor.
- The closing workshop of the Data for Refugees (D4R) Challenge
will be held on 21 January 2019, at Bogazici University, Albert
Long Hall. The challenge participants will present their findings
following the award ceremony. The workshop will also bring together
researchers to draft a paper about what we have learned from the
challenge, to be published in the forthcoming book, Guide to Mobile Data Analytics in Refugee Scenarios
(Salah, Pentland, Lepri, Letouze, Vinck, de Montjoye, Dong, eds.,
Springer). The workshop is free for all attendees. If you are interested
in using big data for refugees, join us on the 21st of January!
- The first tutorial for IPTA 2019 is confirmed to be Cees Snoek (Univ. of Amsterdam), who will talk about Activity Understanding.
- We have organized the 9th HBU Workshop
at ECCV 2018 on "Generating Realistic Visual Data of Human Behavior,"
together with Xavier Alameda-Pineda, Elisa Ricci, Nicu Sebe, and
Shuicheng Yan. Keynotes are Michael Black and Stefanos Zafeirou. A
special issue of IJCV follows the workshop with the same topic.
- We are organizing the Data for Refugees (D4R) Challenge
with Turk Telekom and TuBITAK. This challenge makes mobile CDR data of 1
million people, collected over one year, and carefully anonymized,
available to researchers. We invite researchers to use it to propose
solutions to refugee issues on health, education, security,
unemployment, and integration. The winners of each category will receive
prizes. The results will be summarized in a white paper, and shared
with related ministries and NGOs.
- Our Data for Refugees project with Prof. Alex Pentland (MIT, Media Lab) has received funding from MISTI MIT-Bogazici University Seed Fund.
- We have organized the 5th Int. Symposium on Brain and Cognitive Science at Bogazici University, on 6 May 2018. The keynotes were Prof. Patrick Haggard (University College London) and Prof. Ash Asudeh (University of Oxford). Prof. Ethem Alpaydin chaired a panel entitled "How Deep is Your Learning".
- We have organized the 8th Int. Workshop on Human Behavior Understanding at IEEE FG 2017, in Xi'An. The keynotes were Stephen Brewster and Hongying Meng. The papers are available at IEEE Explore.
- (in Turkish) Yapay zeka uzerine Etiya ile yaptigimiz sohbetleri Youtube'da bulabilirsiniz (1. kisim; 2. kisim; 3. kisim; 4. kisim).
- We won the ChaLearn LAP Job Candidate Screening Coopetition at CVPR'17. Details of the system can be found in the paper: "Multi-modal Score Fusion and Decision Trees for Explainable Automatic Job Candidate Screening from Video CVs".
- I have joined the Editorial Board of The International Journal of Human-Computer Studies,
which publishes interdisciplinary work on interactive systems, covering
research in computing, artificial intelligence, psychology,
linguistics, communication, design, engineering, and social
- I have joined the Editorial Board of IEEE Trans. of Affective Computing,
which focuses on the design of systems that can recognize, interpret,
and simulate human emotions and related affective phenomena.
- The Istanbul European Choir went to Thessaloniki to join the Mixed Choir of Thessaloniki
in their Easter concert. We performed Mahler's Symphony No.2
(Resurrection) together with Thessaloniki State Symphony Orchestra, on
10 April (watch the concert).
- The Turkish computer vision and pattern recognition community
started an e-mail communication list, and the number of its members
reached a hundred just one day after it was set up. The communication
language is mainly Turkish. Look for "email@example.com". Please join in and spread the word.
- The Bogazici-DeviantArt Image Reuse Database (BODAIR) went public. The paper that describes it was presented at the 3rd Workshop on Computer Vision for Art Analysis (VISART@ECCV) in Amsterdam, Oct. 16.
- You can download the slides for the Workshop on Teaching Style and Content
for the training of teaching assistants. These are partly based (with
much compression and simplification) on the material from the BKO certification program (webpage in Dutch), offered by the University of Amsterdam.
- In January 2016, the IEEE Transactions on Autonomous Mental Development (TAMD) was renamed and became the IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems (TCDS).
TCDS will focus on advances in the study of development and cognition
in natural (humans, animals) and artificial (robots, agents) systems.
- If you are interested in hearing about cognitive science related
events in Turkey, please subscribe to our mailing list (moderated) firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A new journal, EAI Endorsed Transactions on Creative Technologies
is initiated to create synergies between computational arts, applied
sciences and creative industries. The journal solicits long and short
papers now, and it is both open access and free for the authors.
- The Cognitive Science program of Bogazici University signed an Erasmus agreement with Tilburg Center for Cognition and Communication (TiCC), as well as with University of Trento.
- The UvA-NEMO Smile database went public! See the website for details on how to obtain it, and check here the coverage in the media. Learn more about our experiment on
the effect of dynamic information for facial age and expression estimation here (in Dutch) and here (in English). The public report (in Dutch) can be downloaded here.
- Ninth International Conference on Image Processing Theory, Tools
and Applications (IPTA 2019), Istanbul, 6-9 November, 2019.
- 18th International Conference on Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns (CAIP), Salerno, 3-5 September, 2019.
- 14th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, Lille, 14-19 May, 2019
- 10th International Symposium on Ambient Intelligence, Avila, 26-28 June, 2019.
- Pattern recognition and machine learning
- Human behavior understanding
- Biometrics - 3D face recognition, fusion of multiple biometrics
- Natural and artificial vision, selective attention
- Digital humanities
- Ambient intelligence, sensor networks
- Unsupervised learning and feature extraction
- Kuzu, R.S., A.A. Salah, "Chat Biometrics," IET Biometrics, vol.7, no.5, pp.454--466, 2018.
- Kaya, H., A.A. Salah, A. Karpov, O. Frolova, A. Grigorev, E. Lyakso, "Emotion, Age, and Gender Classification in Children's Speech by Humans and Machines," Computer Speech & Language, vol.46, pp.268-283, 2017.
- Kaya, H., F. Gurpinar, A.A. Salah, "Video Based Emotion Recognition in the Wild using Deep Transfer Learning and Score Fusion," Image and Vision Computing, vol.65, pp. 66-75, 2017.
- Gorer, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akin, "An Autonomous Robotic Exercise Tutor for Elderly People," Autonomous Robots, 41(3), 657-678, 2017. DOI. available online.
- Balci, K., A.A. Salah, "Automatic classification of player complaints in social games," "IEEE Transactions on Computational Intelligence and AI in Games, vol.9, no.1, pp.103-108, 2017.
- Gundogdu, D., O.D. Incel, A.A. Salah, B. Lepri, "Countrywide Arrhythmia: Emergency Event Detection Using Mobile Phone Data," EPJ Data Science, vol.5, no.25, 2016. DOI.
- Kaya, H., A.A. Salah, "Combining Modality-Specific Extreme Learning Machines for Emotion Recognition in the Wild", Journal on Multimodal User Interfaces, 10(2), pp. 139-149, 2016. DOI.
- Balci, K., A.A. Salah, "Automatic analysis and identification of verbal aggression and abusive behaviors for online social games," Computers in Human Behavior, vol.53, pp.517-526, 2015.
- Varol, G., A.A. Salah, "Efficient large-scale action recognition in videos using extreme learning machines", Expert Systems With Applications 42, pp.8274-8282, 2015. DOI.
- Vinciarelli, A., A. Esposito, E. Andre, F. Bonin, M. Chetouani, J.F.
Cohn, M. Cristani, F. Fuhrmann, E. Gilmartin, Z. Hammal, D. Heylen, R.
Kaiser, M. Koutsombogera, A. Potamianos, S. Renals, G. Riccardi, A.A.
Salah, "Open Challenges in Modeling, Analysis and Synthesis of Human Behaviour in Human-Human and
Human-Machine Interactions," Cognitive Computation, vol.7, issue 4, pp. 397-413, 2015. DOI.
- Dibeklioglu, H., F. Alnajar, A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Combining Facial Dynamics with Appearance for Age Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol.24, no.6, pp.1928-1943, 2015.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Recognition of Genuine Smiles," IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol.17, no.3, pp.279-294, 2015.
- Kaya, H., T. Ozkaptan, A.A. Salah, S.F. Gurgen, "Random Discriminative Projection based Feature Selection for Computational Paralinguistics," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol.22, no.6, pp.671-675, 2015.
- Aslantas, G., F. Gurgen, A.A. Salah, "GA-NN Approach for ECG feature
selection in rule based arrythmia classification", Neural Network
World, vol.3, no.14, pp.267-283, 2014.
- Akdag Salah, A.A., L. Manovich, A.A. Salah and J. Chow, "Combining
Cultural Analytics and Networks Analysis: Studying a Social Network Site
with User-Generated Content," Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Volume 57, Issue 3, pp. 409-426, 2013. The high resolution images can be downloaded here: 1, 2, 3.
- Akdag Salah, A., A.A. Salah, "Flow of Innovation in deviantArt: Following Artists on an Online Social Network Site," Mind and Society, Volume 12, Issue 1, pp. 137-149, 2013.
- Yucel, Z., A.A. Salah, C. Mericli, T. Mericli, R. Valenti, Th. Gevers, "Joint Attention by Gaze Interpolation and Saliency," IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol.43(3), pp.829-842, 2013. Data and ground truth annotations are here.
- Akdag Salah, A., A.A. Salah, B. Buter, N. Dijkshoorn, D. Modolo, Q. Nguyen, S. van Noort, B. van de Poel, "DeviantArt in Spotlight: A Network of Artists," Leonardo, Vol. 45, No. 5, 2012.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "A Statistical
Method for 2D Facial Landmarking," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 21(2), 844-858, 2012.
- Buter, B., N. Dijkshoorn, D. Modolo, Q. Nguyen, S. van Noort, B. van de Poel, A.A. Akdag Salah, A.A. Salah, "Explorative visualization and analysis of a social network for arts: The case of deviantArt
", Journal of Convergence, vol.2, no.2, pp.87-94, 2011.
- Dibeklioglu, H., M. Ortega Hortas, I. Kosunen, P. Zuzanek, A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Design and Implementation of an Affect-Responsive Interactive Photo Frame," Journal on Multimodal User Interfaces, vol.4, no.2, pp.81-95, 2011.
- Poh, N., Chan, C.H., Kittler, J., Marcel, S., Mc Cool, C., Argones
Rua, E., Alba Castro, J.L., Villegas, M., Paredes, R., Struc, V.,
Pavesic, N., Salah, A.A., Fang, H., Costen, N., "An Evaluation of Video-to-Video Face Verification," IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security, vol. 5, no. 4, 781-801, 2010.
- Salah, A.A., E. Pauwels, R. Tavenard, Th. Gevers, "T-Patterns Revisited: Mining for Temporal Patterns in Sensor Data," Sensors 2010, 10(8), 7496-7513; doi:10.3390/s100807496
- Poh, N., T. Bourlai, J. Kittler, L. Allano, F. Alonso, O. Ambekar,
J. Baker, B. Dorizzi, O. Fatukasi, J. Fierrez, H. Ganster, J.-O. Garcia,
D. Maurer, A.A. Salah, T. Scheidat, C. Vielhauer, "Benchmarking Quality-Dependent and Cost-sensitive Multimodal Biometric Fusion Algorithms," IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security, vol. 4, no. 4, 849-866, 2009.
- Salah, A.A., R. Morros, J. Luque, C. Segura, J. Hernando, O. Ambekar, B. Schouten, E.J. Pauwels, "Multimodal identification and localization of users in a smart environment," Journal on
Multimodal User Interfaces, vol 2, no 2, pp-72-91, 2008.
- Akdag Salah, A.A., A.A. Salah, "Technoscience
Art: A Bridge between Neuroesthetics and Art History?," Review of General Psychology, vol 12(2), pp.147-158, 2008.
- Salah, A.A., N. Alyuz, L. Akarun, "Registration of 3D Face Scans with Average Face
Models", Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 17, 011006, 2008. doi:10.1117/1.2896291.
- Salah, A.A., H. Cinar, L. Akarun, B. Sankur, "Robust Facial Landmarking for
Registration", Annals of Telecommunications, vol.62, no.1-2, pp.1608-1633, 2007.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydin, L. Akarun, "A Selective Attention Based Method for Visual
Pattern Recognition with Application to Handwritten Digit Recognition and Face Recognition," IEEE Trans. Pattern
Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 420-425, March 2002.
- Salah, A.A., H. Hung, O. Aran, H. Gunes and M. Turk, Behavior Understanding for Arts and Entertainment, ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems, Vol. 5, No. 3, 2015.
- Salah, A.A., H. Hung, O. Aran, H. Gunes and M. Turk, Brief Introduction to the Special Issue on Behavior Understanding for Arts and Entertainment, ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems, Vol. 5, No. 2, June 2015.
- Salah, A.A., P.-Y. Oudeyer, C. Mericli, J. Ruiz-del-Solar, "Behavior Understanding and Developmental Robotics," IEEE Trans. Autonomous Mental Development, vol.6, no.2, June 2014.
- Salah, A.A., B.A.M. Schouten, S. Gobel, B. Arnrich, "Playful Interactions and Serious Games," Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, Vol 6, No 3, pp. 259-262, May 2014.
- Salah, A.A., B. Lepri, A. Pentland, J. Canny, "Understanding and Changing Behavior", IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol 12, no 3, pp.18-20, July-Sept. 2013.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, A. Vinciarelli, "Introduction to the Affect-Based Human Behavior Understanding Special Issue, IEEE Trans. Affective Computing, Vol.2, No.2, 64-65, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, N. Sebe, A. Vinciarelli, "Computer vision for ambient intelligence," Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, Vol.3, No.3, 187-191, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., T. Dutoit, "Enriching the user experience with multimodal interfaces", Journal on Multimodal User Interfaces, vol.4, no.2, pp.59-60, 2011.
Edited Books and Proceedings
- Chetouani, M., J. Cohn, A.A. Salah, "Human Behavior Understanding,"
Proceedings Seventh Int. Workshop, HBU 2016, Amsterdam, The
Netherlands, October 16, 2016, Springer International Publishing,
- Salah, A.A., B.J. Krose, D.J. Cook, "Human Behavior Understanding,"
Proceedings Sixth Int. Workshop, HBU 2015, Osaka, Japan, September 8,
2015, LNCS 9277, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Hartmann, K., I. Siegert, B. Schuller, L.P. Morency, A.A. Salah, R. Bock, "Proceedings of the International Workshop on Emotion Representations and Modelling for Companion Technologies", Seattle, 9-13 November, 2015.
- Salah, A.A., Y. Tonta, A.A. Akdag Salah, C. Sugimoto, U. Al (Eds.),
Proceedings of ISSI 2015 Istanbul: 15th International Society of
Scientometrics and Informetrics Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 29 June to
3 July, 2015, Bogazici University Printhouse.
- Salah, A.A., J.F. Cohn, B. Schuller, O. Aran, L.-P. Morency, P.R. Cohen (Eds.), Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Multimodal Interaction, ICMI 2014, Istanbul, Turkey, November 12-16, 2014, ACM.
- Park, H.S., A.A. Salah, Y.J. Lee, L.-P. Morency, Y. Sheikh, R. Cucchiara, "Human Behavior Understanding,"
Proceedings Fifth Int. Workshop, HBU 2014, Zurich, Switzerland,
September 12, 2014, LNCS 8749, Springer International Publishing,
- Salah, A.A., H. Hung, O. Aran, H. Gunes, "Human Behavior Understanding,"
Proceedings Fourth Int. Workshop, HBU 2013, Barcelona, Spain, October
22, 2013, LNCS 8212, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Augusto, J.C., R. Wichert, R. Collier, D. Keyson, A.A. Salah, A.-H. Tan, "Ambient Intelligence," Proceedings Fourth Int. Joint Conference, AmI 2013, Dublin, December 3-5, 2013, LNCS 8309, Springer Verlag.
- Salah, A.A., J. Ruiz-del-Solar, C. Mericli, P.-Y. Oudeyer, "Human Behavior Understanding," Proceedings Third Int. Workshop, HBU 2012, Algarve, Portugal, October 7, 2012, LNCS 7559, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., B. Lepri, "Human Behavior Understanding,"
Proceedings Second Int. Workshop, HBU 2011, Amsterdam, The Netherlands,
November 16, 2011, LNCS 7065, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, Computer Analysis of Human Behavior, Springer Verlag, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, Proceedings of
the eNTERFACE'10 Summer Workshop on Multimodal Interfaces, University of Amsterdam, 2010.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, N. Sebe, A. Vinciarelli, "Human Behavior Understanding," Proceedings First Int. Workshop,
HBU 2010, Istanbul, Turkey, August 22, 2010, LNCS 6219, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., H. Kaya, F. Gurpinar, "Video-Based Emotion Recognition
in the Wild," X. Alameda-Pineda, E. Ricci, N. Sebe (eds.), Multimodal Behavior Analysis in the Wild,
Academic Press, pp.369-386, 2019.
- Kaya, H., A.A. Salah, Multimodal Personality Trait Analysis for
Explainable Modeling of Job Interview Decisions, H. J. Escalante et al.
(eds.), Explainable and Interpretable Models in Computer Vision and
Machine Learning, The Springer Series on Challenges in Machine Learning,
Springer Nature Switzerland, 2018.
- Munteanu, C., A.A. Salah, "Multimodal technologies for seniors: Challenges and Opportunities," S. Oviatt et al. (eds), The Handbook of Multimodal-Multisensor Interfaces, Morgan Claypool, 2017.
- Salah, A.A., B.J. Krose, D.J. Cook, "Behavior Analysis for Elderly,"
in A.A. Salah, B.J. Krose, D.J. Cook (Eds.): HBU 2015, LNCS 9277, pp.
1-10, Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2015.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, F. Gurpinar, "Measurement of Facial
Dynamics for Soft Biometrics" in Q. Ji et al., Face and Facial
Expression Recognition from Real World Videos, pp.69-84, Springer
International Publishing, 2015.
- Salah, A.A., H. Hung, O. Aran, H. Gunes, "Creative applications of human behavior understanding", HBU 2013, LNCS 8212, pp.1-14, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., J. Ruiz-del-Solar, C. Mericli, P.-Y. Oudeyer, "Human
Behavior Understanding for Robotics", HBU 2012, LNCS 7559, Springer
Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Lepri, B., A.A. Salah, F. Pianesi and A.S. Pentland, "Human Behavior Understanding for Inducing Behavioral Change: Social and Theoretical Aspects," in R. Wichert, K. van Laerhoven, J. Gelissen (eds.) AmI 2011 Workshops, CCIS 277, pp.252-263, 2012.
- Schouten, B.A.M., A.A. Salah, R. van Kranenburgh, "Behavioural
Biometrics and Human Identity," in E. Mordini, D. Tzovaras (eds.),
Second Generation Biometrics: The Ethical, Legal and Social Context, The
International Library of Ethics, Law and Technology, Vol. 11, Part 3,
pp. 195-214, DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-3892-8_9, Springer Science+Business
Media B.V., 2012.
- Salah, A.A., B. Lepri, F. Pianesi, A. Pentland, "Human Behavior Understanding for Inducing Behavioral Change: Application Perspectives", HBU 2011, LNCS 7065, 1-15, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., N. Sebe, Th. Gevers, "Communication and automatic interpretation of
affect from facial expressions," in D. Gokcay & G. Yildirim (eds.), Affective Computing and Interaction:
Psychological, Cognitive and Neuroscientific Perspectives, Chap. 8, IGI Global, pp.157-183, 2010.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, N. Sebe, A. Vinciarelli, "Challenges of human behavior
understanding," HBU 2010, LNCS 6219, 1-12, 2010.
- Salah, A.A., "Machine Learning for Biometrics," E. Soria, J.D. Martin, M.Martinez, R. Magdalena, A.J. Serrano
(eds.), Handbook of Research on Machine Learning
- Archer, C., M. Hochstenbach, K. Hoede, G. Meinsma, H. Meijer, A.A. Salah, C. Stolk, T. Swist, J. Zyprych, "Neural spike sorting with spatio-temporal features", in O. Bokhove, J. Hurink, G. Meinsma, C.
Stolk, M. Vellekoop (eds.) "Proceedings of the Sixty-third European Study Group Mathematics with Industry", pp.21-46,
- Gokberk, B., A.A. Salah, N. Alyuz, L. Akarun, "3D Face Recognition: Technology and Applications," M. Tistarelli,
S.Z. Li, R. Chellappa (eds.) Handbook of Remote Biometrics for
Surveillance and Security, Springer-Verlag, London, 2009.
- Salah, A.A., "Perceptual Fusion in Humans and Machines" in O.
Tanridag (ed.), "Cognitive Neuroscience at Marmaris - An Interdisciplinary Book on Selected Themes From The Previous
Meetings 2005-2007," Pharmapublication Planning, Istanbul, 2008.
- Gokberk, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, R. Etheve, D. Riccio, J.-L. Dugelay, "3D Face Recognition" in D.
Petrovska-Delacretaz, G. Chollet, B. Dorizzi (eds.), Guide to Biometric Reference Systems and Performance
Evaluation, Springer-Verlag, London, 2008.
- Tistarelli, M., M. Bicego, J.L. Alba-Castro, D. Gonzalez-Jimenez, A. Mellakh, A.A. Salah, D. Petrovska-Delacretaz,
B. Dorizzi, "2D Face Recognition" in D. Petrovska-Delacretaz, G. Chollet, B. Dorizzi (eds.), Guide to Biometric Reference Systems and Performance
Evaluation, Springer-Verlag, London, 2008.
International Conference and Workshop Papers
- Moon, J., J. Morita, Y. Enokibori, T. Hirayama, A.A. Salah, K. Mase,
Y. Hatakeyama, H. Kaji, Predicting Signs of Drowsiness from Driver's
Blinking and Driving Behavior, 8th Biennial Workshop on DSP for
In-Vehicle and Mobile Systems, Nagoya, 2018.
- Ringeval, F., B. Schuller, M. Valstar, R. Cowie, H. Kaya, M.
Schmitt, S. Amirparian, N. Cummins, D. Lalanne, A. Michaud, E. ciftci,
H. Gulec, A.A. Salah, M. Pantic, "AVEC 2018 Workshop and Challenge:
Bipolar Disorder and Cross-Cultural Affect Recognition," AVEC, Seoul,
- Timar, Y., N. Karslioglu, H. Kaya, A.A. Salah, "Feature selection and multimodal fusion for estimating emotions evoked by movie clips," ACM Int. Conf. on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR), Yokohama, 2018.
- Ciftci, E., H. Kaya, A.A. Salah, H. Gulec, "The Turkish Audio-Visual Bipolar Disorder Corpus," ACII Asia, Beijing, 2018.
- Derman, E., A.A. Salah, "Continuous Real-Time Vehicle Driver Authentication Using Convolutional Neural Network Based Face Recognition," Int. Workshop on Human Behavior Understanding (HBU), Xi'an, 2018.
- Karslioglu, N., Y. Timar, A.A. Salah, H. Kaya, " BOUN-NKU in MediaEval 2017 Emotional Impact of Movies Task," MediaEval, Dublin, 2017.
- Kaya, H., F. Gurpinar, A.A. Salah, "Multi-modal Score Fusion and Decision Trees for Explainable Automatic Job Candidate Screening from Video CVs," CVPR Workshops, Honolulu, 2017. (Winner of the ChaLearn LAP Job Candidate Screening Challenge).
- Musaoglu, O., O. Dag, A.A. Akdag Salah, A.A. Salah, "A Generic Tool for Visualizing Patterns in Poetry", Digital Humanities, Montreal, 2017.
- Sari, C., A.A. Salah, A.A. Akdag Salah, "Tracing the Colors of Clothing in Paintings with Image Analysis", Digital Humanities, Montreal, 2017.
- Gurpinar, F., H. Kaya, H. Dibeklioglu, A.A. Salah, "Multimodal Fusion of Audio, Scene, and Face Features for First Impression Estimation," 23rd Int.Conf. on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Cancun, 2016 (Winner of the ChaLearn LAP First Impressions Challenge).
- Halfon, S., E. Aydin Oktay, A.A. Salah, "Assessing Affective Dimensions of Play in Psychodynamic Child Psychotherapy via Text Analysis," 7th Int. Workshop on Human Behavior Understanding (HBU), Amsterdam, pp.15-34, 2016.
- Senyazar, B., A.A. Salah, I. Ayhan, "The Role of Attention on the
Minimum Presentation Duration Required for Scene Recognition," European
Conf. on Visual Perception (ECVP), Barcelona, 2016. (published in
Perception, vol.45, p.200, 2016).
- Isikdogan, F., I. Adiyaman, A.A. Akdag Salah, A.A. Salah, "A new database and protocol for image reuse detection," VISART@ECCV, ECCV Workshops, vol.1, pp.903-916, Amsterdam, 2016. (author proof)
- Gurpinar, F., H. Kaya, A.A. Salah, "Combining Deep Facial and Ambient Features for First Impression Estimation," ECCV Workshops, Volume 9915 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp 372-385, 2016.
- Afshar, S., A.A. Salah,"Facial expression recognition in the wild using improved dense trajectories and Fisher vector encoding," IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), Las Vegas, 2016.
- Gurpinar, F., H. Kaya, H. Dibeklioglu, A.A. Salah, "Kernel ELM and CNN based Facial Age Estimation," IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), Las Vegas, 2016.
- Kaya, H., A. Karpov, A.A. Salah, "Robust Acoustic Emotion
Recognition based on Cascaded Normalization and Extreme Learning
Machines," 13th International Symposium on Neural Networks, Saint
Petersburg, July 6-8, 2016.
- Kuzu, R.S., K. Balci, A.A. Salah, "Authorship Recognition in a Multiparty Chat Scenario," Int. Workshop on Biometrics and Forensics, Limassol, March 2016.
- Derman, E., G. Kayim, A.A. Salah, "Short Term Re-Identification of Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) Users via Face and Body Appearance Features," Int. Workshop on Biometrics and Forensics, Limassol, March 2016.
- Gurpinar, F., H. Kaya, S. Afshar, H. Dibeklioglu, A.A. Salah,
"Kernel ELM based age estimation," Int. Conf. on Computer Graphics,
Animation and Gaming Technologies (Eurasia Graphics), Istanbul, November
- Kaya, H., F. Gurpinar, S. Afshar, A.A. Salah, "Contrasting and Combining Least Squares Based Learners for Emotion Recognition in the Wild," ICMI, Seattle, November 2015. (First Runner Up, EMOTIW AFEW Challenge)
- Aydin Oktay, E., K. Balci, A.A. Salah, "Automatic assessment of dimensional affective content in Turkish multi-party chat messages," Int. Workshop on Emotion Representations and Modelling for Companion Systems (ERM4CT), Seattle, November 2015.
- Lyakso, E., O. Frolova, E. Dmitrieva, A. Grigorev, H. Kaya, A. Salah, A. Karpov. EmoChildRu: Emotional Child Russian Speech Corpus. In Proc. International Conference on Speech and Computer SPECOM-2015, Athens, Greece, Springer LNAI 9319, pp. 134-141, 2015.
- Kaya, H., A. Karpov, A.A. Salah, "Fisher Vectors with Cascaded
Normalization for Paralinguistic Analysis," INTERSPEECH, Dresden, 2015. (Winner of the Computational Paralinguistics Challenge - Eating Condition Subchallenge)
- Gundogdu, D., o.D. Incel, A.A. Salah, B. Lepri, "Social event
detection in aggregated mobile phone data using Markov modulated Poisson
process," Int. Conf. on Computational Social Science, Helsinki, June
- Sartori, A., B. Senyazar, A.A. Akdag Salah, N. Sebe, A.A. Salah,
"Emotions in Abstract Art: Does Texture Matter?," 18th Int. Conf. on
Image Analysis and Processing (ICIAP), Genova, September 7-11, 2015.
- Sartori, A., Y. Yan, G. Ozbal, A.A. Akdag Salah, A.A. Salah, N. Sebe, "Looking at Mondrian's Victory Boogie-Woogie: What do I feel?,"
in Q. Yang, M. Wooldridge (eds.) Proc. of the 24th Int. Joint Conf. on
Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), pp. 2503-2509, AAAI Press, Buenos
Aires, July 25-31, 2015.
- Kaya, H., A.A. Salah, "Combining Modality-Specific Extreme Learning
Machines for Emotion Recognition in the Wild," 16th ACM ICMI, pp
- Salah, A.A., "Natural Multimodal Interaction with a Social Robot: What are the Premises?,"
Proc. of the 2014 Workshop on Roadmapping the Future of Multimodal
Interaction Research including Business Opportunities and Challenges,
Istanbul, November 2014.
- Kaya, H., A.A. Salah, "Eyes Whisper Depression: A CCA Based Multimodal Approach," ACM Multimedia, Orlando, November 3-7, 2014.
- Kaya, H., F. cilli, A.A. Salah, "Ensemble CCA for Continuous Emotion
Prediction," The 4th Int. Audio/Visual Emotion Challenge and Workshop
(AVEC), Orlando, November 7, 2014.
- Kaya, H., T. ozkaptan, A.A. Salah, S.F. Gurgen, "Canonical
Correlation Analysis and Local Fisher Discriminant Analysis based
Multi-View Acoustic Feature Reduction for Physical Load Prediction,"
INTERSPEECH, Singapore, September 14-18, 2014. (Winner of the Computational Paralinguistics Challenge - Physical Load Subchallenge)
- Demiroz, B.E., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Coupling Fall Detection and
Tracking in Omnidirectional Cameras," 5th Int. Workshop on Human
Behavior Understanding (HBU@ECCV), Zurich, September 12, 2014
- Dibeklioglu, H., T. Gevers, M. Lucassen, A.A. Salah, "The Role of Color and Contrast in Facial Age Estimation," 5th Int. Workshop on Human Behavior Understanding (HBU@ECCV), Zurich, September 12, 2014
- Guneysu, A., D. Siyli, A.A. Salah, " Auto-Evaluation of Motion
Imitation in a Child-Robot Imitation Game for Upper Arm Rehabilitation,"
IEEE International Symposium on
Robot and Human Interactive Communication, Edinburgh, August 25-29,
- Kocberber, C., A.A. Salah, "Video Retargeting: Video Saliency and Optical Flow Based Hybrid Approach," 3rd Workshop on Intelligent Cinematography and Editing (at AAAI), Quebec City, July 27, 2014.
- Kaya, H., F. Eyben, A.A. Salah, B.W. Schuller, "CCA Based Feature
Selection with Application to Continuous Depression Recognition from
Acoustic Speech Features," Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal
Processing (ICASSP), Florence, 4-9 May, 2014.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Like Father, Like Son: Facial Expression Dynamics for Kinship Verification," Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV), Sydney, 3-6 December 2013.
- Derman, E., Y.K. Gecici, A.A. Salah, "Short Term Face Recognition
for Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) Users," Int. Conf. on Electronics,
Computer and Computation (ICECCO), Ankara, 2013.
- Gorer, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akin, "A Robotic Fitness Coach for The
Elderly", Int. Joint Conference on Ambient Intelligence, Dublin, 2013.
- Kaya, H., A.M. Ercetin, A.A. Salah, S. F. Gurgen, "Random Forests for Laughter Detection", 1st Workshop on Affective Social Speech Signals, Grenoble, 22-23 August 2013.
- Isikdogan, F., A.A. Salah, "Affine invariant salient patch descriptors for image retrieval," International Workshop on Image and Audio Analysis for Multimedia Interactive Services (WIA2MIS), Paris, July 2013.
- Balci, K., A.A. Salah, "Player profiling and offender classification
from player complaints in online social games", Workshop on Design and
Evaluation of Sociability in Online Games at CHI, Paris, 2013.
- Akdag Salah, A.A., A. Scharnhorst, O. ten Bosch, P. Doorn, L.
Manovich, A.A. Salah and J. Chow, "Significance of Visual Interfaces in
Institutional and User-Generated Databases with Category Structures,"
5th International Workshop on Personalized Access to Cultural Heritage
(PATCH 2012), Nara, 2012
- Dibeklioglu, H., Th. Gevers, A.A. Salah, R. Valenti, "A smile can
reveal your age: Enabling facial dynamics in age estimation," ACM
Multimedia, Nara, 2012.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Are You Really Smiling at
Me? Spontaneous versus Posed Enjoyment Smiles," in A. Fitzgibbon et al.
(Eds.): ECCV 2012, Part III, LNCS 7574, pp. 526-539, Firenze, 2012.
- Akdag Salah, A.A., A.A. Salah, J. Douglass, L. Manovich, "Exploring
Originality in User-Generated Content with Network and Image Analysis
Tools," Digital Humanities, Hamburg, 2012.
- Tomlinson, B., J. Ross, P. Andre, E.P.S. Baumer, D.J. Patterson, J.
Corneli, M. Mahaux, S. Nobarany, M. Lazzari, P. Penzenstadler, A.W.
Torrance, D.J. Callele, G.M. Olson, M.S. Silberman, M. Stander, F.R.
Palamedi, A. Salah, E. Morrill, X. Franch, F. Mueller, J. Kaye, R.W.
Black, M.L. Cohn, P.C. Shih, J. Brewer, N. Goyal, P. Nakki, J. Huang, N.
Baghaei, and C. Saper. "Massively Distributed Authorship of Academic Papers," ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) Extended Abstracts (alt.chi), 11-20, 2012.
- Demiroz, B.E., O. Eroglu, I. Ari, A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Feature based tracking on a multi-omnidirectional camera dataset," 5th International Symposium on Communications, Control, and Signal Processing (ISCCSP), Rome, 2012.
- Salah, A.A., M. Pantic, A. Vinciarelli, "Recent Developments in Social Signal Processing", IEEE Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Anchorage, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., J. Han, E. Pauwels, P. de Zeeuw, "Multimodal monitoring
of cultural heritage sites and the FIRESENSE project," IEEE ISABEL,
- Dibeklioglu, H., R. Valenti, A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Eyes Do Not
Lie: Spontaneous vs. Posed Smiles", ACM Multimedia, Firenze, 2010.
- Yucel, Z., A.A. Salah, c. Mericli, T. Mericli, "Joint Visual Attention Modeling for Naturally Interacting Robotic Agents," 24th International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences (ISCIS'09), Northern Cyprus, 2009.
- Yucel, Z., A.A. Salah, "Resolution of focus of attention using gaze direction estimation and saliency computation," Int. Conference on Affective Computing & Intelligent Interaction, Amsterdam, 2009.
- Salah, A.A., B. Schouten, "Semiosis and the relevance of context for the AmI environment", 9th European Conference on Computing and Philosophy (ECAP'09), Barcelona, 2009.
- Yucel, Z., A.A. Salah, "Head pose and neural network based gaze
direction estimation for joint attention modeling in embodied agents," 31st Annual Conference of Cognitive Science Society (CogSci'09), Amsterdam, 2009.
- Poh, N., C.H. Chan, J. Kittler, S. Marcel, C. Mc Cool, E. Argones Rua, J.L. Alba Castro, M. Villegas, R.
Paredes, V. Struc, N. Pavesic, A.A. Salah, H. Fang, N. Costen, "Face Video Competition," The 3rd IAPR/IEEE Int. Conf. on Biometrics (ICB'09), Alghero, 2009.
- Ananthakrishnan, G., H. Dibeklioglu, M. Lojka, A. Lopez, S. Perdikis, U. Saeed, A.A. Salah, D. Tzovaras, A.
Vogiannou, "Activity-Related Biometric Authentication," Proc. 4th
eNTERFACE Workshop, pp.56-72, Orsay, August 2008.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "3D Facial Landmarking under
Expression, Pose, and Occlusion Variations," IEEE Second International
Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS'08), Washington, Sept. 29-Oct.1, 2008.
- Schouten, B., A.A. Salah, "Empowering the End-user in Biometrics," 10th
IEEE Int. Conf. on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV'08), Hanoi, 17-20 December, 2008.
- Alyuz, N., B. Gokberk, H. Dibeklioglu, A. Savran, A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, B. Sankur, "3D Face Recognition Benchmarks on the Bosphorus Database with Focus on Facial
Expressions" in Proc. First European Workshop on Biometrics and Identity Management (BIOID'08), Roskilde, 7-9 May,
- Tavenard, R., A.A. Salah, E.J. Pauwels, "Searching for
Temporal Patterns in AmI Sensor Data," in M. Muhlhauser, A. Ferscha, E. Aitenbichler (eds.), "Constructing Ambient
Intelligence: AmI-07 Workshops Proceedings", LNCS, Darmstadt, Germany, 7-10 November, 2007.
- Pauwels, E., A.A. Salah, R. Tavenard, "Sensor Networks for Ambient
Intelligence," Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP), Crete, October 2007.
- Bicego, M., A.A. Salah, E. Grosso, M. Tistarelli, L. Akarun,"Generalization in
Holistic versus Analytic Processing of Faces," 14th Int. Conf. on Image
Analysis and Processing, Modena, Italy, 10-14 September, 2007.
- Morros, R., A.A. Salah, B. Schouten, C.S. Perales, J.L. Serrano, O. Ambekar, C. Kayalar, C. Keskin, L. Akarun,
"Event recognition for meaningful human-computer interaction in a smart environment," Proc. 3rd eNTERFACE Workshop, pp.
71-86, Istanbul, August 2007.
- Salah, A.A., N. Alyuz, L. Akarun, "Alternative face models for 3D face
registration," in SPIE Conf. on Electronic Imaging, Vision Geometry, San Jose, January 2007.
- Salah, A.A., M. Bicego, L. Akarun, E. Grosso, M. Tistarelli, "Hidden Markov
Model-based face recognition using selective attention," in SPIE Conf. on Human Vision and Electronic Imaging, San
Jose, January 2007.
- Salah, A.A., L. Akarun, "3D Facial Feature Localization for Registration," International Workshop on Multimedia Content Representation, Classification
and Security (MRCS), September 2006.
- Salah, A.A., B. Gokberk, L. Akarun, J.R. Tena, M. Hamouz, J. Kittler, M. Bicego, E. Grosso, M. Tistarelli, "3D
face verification using shape and texture/3D face registration and landmark localization," Biosecure Workshop, Vigo,
- Salah, A.A., L. Akarun, "Factor Analysis Based Robust 3D Facial Landmarking", 3. Summer School for Advanced
Studies on Biometrics for Secure Authentication: New Sensors, Evaluation and Database Collection, Alghero, June 2006.
- Cinar Akakin, H., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, B. Sankur, "2D/3D facial feature
extraction", in Proc. SPIE Conf. on Electronic Imaging, San Jose, 2006.
- Akarun, L., B. Gokberk, A.A. Salah, "3D Face Recognition for Biometric
Applications", in Proc. European Signal Processing Conference, Antalya,
- Gokberk, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Rank-based Decision Fusion for 3D
Shape-based Face Recognition," in Takeo Kanade, Anil Jain, Nalini K. Ratha (eds.) Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 3546/2005 Audio- and
Video-Based Biometric Person Authentication: 5th International Conference, AVBPA 2005.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydin, "Incremental Mixtures of Factor Analyzers," in Proc.
International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR04), vol.1, pp.276-279, Cambridge, 2004.
- Salah, A.A., S. Redman, G. Kovacs, "Clustering under Multiobjective
Optimization Constraints with Genetic Algorithms" in Proc. of the Santa Fe Complex Systems Summer School, Santa Fe, NM: SFI, 2002.
- Labiouse, C., A.A. Salah, I. Starikova, "The Impact of
Connectivity on the Memory Capacity and the Retrieval Dynamics of Hopfield-type Networks" in Proc. of the Santa Fe
Complex Systems Summer School, Santa Fe, NM: SFI, pp.77-84, 2002.
- Banerjee, N., Z. Dezso, V. Kolyadin, A. Marhan, A.A. Salah, "Lunch Network: A Glimpse of Social Dynamics of
SFI Students" in Proc. of the Santa Fe Complex Systems Summer School, Santa Fe, NM: SFI, 2002.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydin, L. Akarun, "A Selective Attention Based Method for Visual
Pattern Recognition," in Moore, J.D., and Stenning, K. (eds.) Proc. 23rd Annual Conference of Cognitive Science
Society, pp. 881-886, Edinburgh, August 2001.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydin, L. Akarun, "A Selective Attention Based Optical Recognition of Handwritten Digits,"
Proceedings of the First IEEE Balkan Conference on Signal Processing, Communications, Circuits and Systems, 2000.
- Salah, A.A., A. Pentland, B. Lepri, E. Letouze, P. Vinck, Y.-A. de Montjoye, X. Dong, O. Dagdelen, "Data for Refugees: The D4R Challenge on Mobility of Syrian Refugees in Turkey, arXiv:1807.00523v3 [cs.CY], 2018.
- Doyran, M., Y. Yildirim, A.A. Salah, "Action Recognition with Deep Neural Networks," IEEE SIU, Antalya, 2017.
- Karpov A.A., Kaya H., Salah A.A., "State-of-the-art tasks and achievements of paralinguistic speech analysis systems,"
(in Russian) Scientific and Technical Journal of Information
Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 581-592, 2016.
- Kocberber Kontaci, c., O. Cetinturk, G.G. Polat, K.C. Ozkisacik,
A.A. Salah, "A simulator for generating realistic simulations of telecom
customer behaviors," IEEE 24th Signal Processing and Communications
Applications Conference (SIU), Zonguldak, 2016.
- Kadron, I.B., Sofuoglu, c., A.A. Salah, "Automatic Tracking of Rat
Behaviour Using RGB-D Camera," Akademik Bilisim, Eskisehir, 2015.
- Kaya, H., A.A. Salah, S.F. Gurgen, H. Ekenel, "Protocol and Baseline for Experiments on Bogazici University Turkish Emotional Speech Corpus," IEEE SIU, Trabzon, 2014.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, T. Gevers, "Kinship Verification using Facial Dynamics," IEEE SIU, Trabzon, 2014.
- Demiroz, B.E., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Multiple Person Tracking Using Omnidirectional Cameras,"IEEE SIU, Trabzon, 2014.
- Gorer, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akin, "Gesture imitation for a robotic fitness coach," IEEE SIU, Girne, 2013.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, T. Gevers, "Age Estimation Using Facial Expression Dynamics," IEEE SIU, Girne, 2013.
- Demiroz, B.E., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Fall Detection Using Multi-Omnidirectional Cameras," IEEE SIU, Girne, 2013.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, T. Gevers, "User Adaptation Based on
Facial Expression and Motion for an Interactive Artifact," IEEE SIU
2012, Fethiye, 2012.
- Demiroz, B.E., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Multi-Omnidirectional Cameras for Ambient Intelligence," IEEE SIU 2012, Fethiye, 2012.
- Dibeklioglu, H., R. Valenti, A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Classification
of Spontaneous and Posed Smiles," IEEE SIU 2011, Antalya, 2011.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, T. Gevers, "Automatic Landmarking and
Alignment for Facial Expression Analysis," IEEE SIU 2010, Diyarbakir,
- Yucel, Z., A.A. Salah, c. Mericli, T. Mericli, "Derivation of Gaze
Direction from Head Pose Estimates," IEEE SIU 2010, Diyarbakir, 2010.
- Alyuz, N., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "3D
Face Registration: Using Multiple Average Models," Lambert Academic Publishing, 2009.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Expression, Pose and Occlusion Resistant 3D Facial Landmarking," IEEE SIU 2009, Antalya, 2009. (Alper Atalay 2nd best student paper award)
- Salah, A.A., "Face Authentication for an Activity-Related Biometrics System," IEEE SIU 2009 Antalya, 2009.
- Pauwels, E., A.A. Salah, P. de Zeeuw, "Tackling the
Semantic Gap in Sensor Networks, "ERCIM News, Number 76, January 2009.
- Salah, A.A., "A Needle in the Brain," ERCIM News,
Number 73, April 2008.
- Salah, A.A., E.J. Pauwels, "Prediction and Voronoi graph
construction with a dense network of simple sensors", IEEE SIU 2008,
20-22 April 2008, Didim, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., A.P. Saygin, "Retinotopy and Selective Visual Attention
in Humans and Computers", IEEE SIU 2008, 20-22 April 2008, Didim,
- Salah, A.A., "Algisal Tumlestirme", Dorduncu Bilgi Isleyen Makina Olarak Beyin
Sempozyumu, 4-5 Nisan 2008, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., "Perceptual Information Fusion in Humans and Machines," Cognitive Neuroscience Forum, vol.2,
- Alyuz, N., Salah, A.A., L. Akarun, "Alternative average face models for 3D face registration," IEEE SIU 2007, 11-13 June, Eskisehir, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., "Insan ve Bilgisayarda Yuz Tanima," Uluslararasi Kognitif
Norobilim Sempozyumu, Mayis 2006, Marmaris, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., L. Akarun, "Gabor Factor Analysis for 2D+3D Facial Landmark Localization," IEEE SIU 2006, 17-19 Nisan 2006, Antalya, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., B. Gokberk, L. Akarun, "3D Face Recognition", Proceedings of the Fifth GAP Engineering Congress, 26-28 April
2006, Sanliurfa, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., "Insan ve Bilgisayarda Yuz Tanima", Ucuncu Bilgi Isleyen Makina Olarak Beyin Sempozyumu, 24 Aralik
2005, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Gokberk, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Uc Boyutlu Sekil
Bilgisiyle Yuz Tanimada Siralamaya Dayali Karar Birlestirimi", IEEE SIU 2005.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydin, "Incremental Mixtures of
Factor Analyzers," Technical Report, FBE/CMPE-01/2004-7,
Department of Computer Engineering, Bogazici University, 2004. (This is the longer version of the ICPR'04 paper).
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydin, L. Akarun, "Selective
Attention Based Pattern Recognition," Technical Report, FBE/CMPE-03/2001-12,
Department of Computer Enginnering, Bogazici University, 2001.
- Salah, A.A., A Selective Attention Based Method for Optical
Handwritten Digit Recognition (M.S. Thesis - 2000)
- Salah, A.A., Collective Intelligence, Panel Discussion at the 7th International Istanbul Biennial, September 23,
2001 with Peter Gardenfors, Kazuhiko Hachiya, and Rafael Lozano-Hemmer. (download talk in DOC format/Teknoturk'te cikan yazi icin
tiklayin: Istanbul Bienali'nde Bir Panel: Kolektif
- Akin, L., A.A. Salah, Bogazici
Universitesi'ndeki Robot Arastirmalari - Gelecege Giden Yol, Teknoturk.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydin, L. Akarun, "A Selective Attention Based Recognition Framework with Application to
Handwritten Numerals," Proceedings of the Ninth Turkish Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks (TAINN), 2000.
- Salah, A.A., "An Evolutionary Algorithm Tool in Smalltalk" (B.S. Thesis - 1998)
Face recognition has been an active area of study for both computer
vision and image processing communities, not only for biometrics but
also for human-computer interaction applications. The purpose of the
present work is to evaluate the existing 3D face recognition techniques
and seek biologically motivated methods to improve them. We especially
look at findings in psychophysics and cognitive science for insights.
We propose a biologically motivated computational model, and focus on
the earlier stages of the model, whose performance is critical for the
later stages. Our emphasis is on automatic localization of facial
features. We first propose a strong unsupervised learning algorithm for
flexible and automatic training of Gaussian mixture models and use it
in a novel feature-based algorithm for facial fiducial point
localization. We also propose a novel structural correction algorithm
to evaluate the quality of landmarking and to localize fiducial points
under adverse conditions. We test the effects of automatic landmarking
under rigid and non-rigid registration methods. For the rigid
registration approach, we implement the iterative closest point method
(ICP). The most important drawback of ICP is the computational cost of
registering a test scan to each scan in the gallery. By using an
average face model in rigid registration, we show that the computation
bottleneck can be eliminated. Following psychophysical arguments on the
"other race effect", we reason that organizing faces into different
gender and morphological groups will help us in designing more
discriminative classifiers. We test this claim by employing different
average face models for dense registration. We propose a shape-based
clustering approach that assigns faces into groups with nondescript
gender and race. Finally, we propose a regular re-sampling step that
increases the speed and the accuracy significantly. These components
make up a full 3D face recognition system.
This work was the recipient of the European Biometrics Forum 2006 Biometrics Research Award. It was supported by the
- 3D Object Recognition, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), Project Code:
- Perceptual Human Computer Interaction, T.R. Prime Ministry State Planning Organization (DPT), Project Code:
FP6 network of excellence project on multimodal biometrics.
- The IMoFA algorithm (incremental mixtures of factor analyzers) in MATLAB (download). This
algorithm performs automatic clustering and model selection in an unsupervised manner. The model is basically a
Gaussian mixture, but from a complexity point of view, the output will be between a diagonal-covariance GMM and a
full-covariance GMM, thanks to the latent variable assumptions. The demonstration code models the Iris data with IMoFA,
and shows how classification can be effected with the trained models.
- The GOLLUM algorithm (Gaussian outlier localization with likelihood margins) in MATLAB (download). GOLLUM is a morphological algorithm that learns landmark distributions for the purpose
of detecting and correcting a given landmark constellation, irrespective of the underlying feature distribution. It can
be used for detecting landmark localization errors automatically, providing expected locations for landmarks, and for
correcting a given landmark location based on other landmarks. The provided code uses the Levenberg-Marquard algorithm
from the Optimization Toolbox of MATLAB, but this step can be replaced with a custom algorithm. The demonstration code
shows how to operate GOLLUM to correct randomly corrupted facial landmark data.
- A Genetic Algorithm Package for Dolphin Smalltalk (download)
- Latrunculli Game in SWI-Prolog (contains a
stand-alone genetic algorithm module)
Invitation to Cognitive Science
Would you be interested in a Cognitive Science program in Bogazici University? Visit the M.A. Program in Cognitive Science webpage.