Department of Computer Engineering
CMPE 49F- Special Topics: Introduction to Satellite and Space Commun.
Catalog Data Introduction to satellites and deep space systems, Satellite Communication Systems, Satellite applications and services, Satellite Network Principles, Satellite Systems Design, Algorithms in Satellite Networks
email@example.com ETA 42, Tel: 359 6652
Credit 3 hours
by topics Each student should have the background in:
§ Computer networks (Optional).
Textbook There is no required textbook for this course. The required materials will be provided during the course. Supplement articles and class Power Point slides will be provided regularly.
Course Objectives and Related Program Educational Objectives (ABET200):
· To be familiar with basic communication systems
· To be familiar with deep space communications
· To be familiar with satellite systems
· To be familiar with the satellite and space networks market and the future needs and challenges.
· To apply mathematical models of satellite networks.
· To strengthen students’ knowledge in satellite communication systems.
· To design simple communications systems for satellite networks
Course Topics (by Week):
W.1-2 Principles of basic communications systems
W.3-4. Introduction to deep space systems, galaxies, stars, planets, orbits.
W.5-6 Introduction to satellite systems components, and networks.
W.7-8. Satellite Communication Systems
W.9-10. Satellite applications and services
W.11-12 Satellite Systems Design
W.12-13 Basic Algorithm Design in Satellite Networks
W.14 Project Presentations Satellite Networks
Grading policy (Tentative):
Pop quizzes-Class activities- 20%
Midterm 1- 25%
Midterm 2- 25%
Three 50-minute lecture/discussion sessions per week.
Contribution of Course to Meeting the Professional Component:
Mathematics and Basic Science: 30 %
New Trends in Engineering topics: 70 %
Prepared by: Fatih Alagoz
Date: September 2013