Albert Ali Salah
Assist. Prof., Department of Computer Engineering,
Chair, Cognitive Science Program,
34342 Bebek, Istanbul, Turkey
phone: +90 212 359 7774
My Events and Announcements
- The 5th Human Behavior Understanding Workshop will be organized as a satellite to ECCV 2014. We have an outstanding set of invited talks: Shai Avidan, Marco Cristani, David Forsyth, Daniel Gatica-Perez,Fei-Fei Li, James Rehg, Nicu Sebe, and Alessandro Vinciarelli.
- Together with Hazım Ekenel (ITU), Björn Schuller (TUM and Imperial College London) and Christian Becker-Asano (Univ. Freiburg), we are organizing the First Turkish German Multimodal Interaction Summit in Istanbul, on 11th November 2014 (i.e. one day before ICMI), with the generous support of TUBITAK. If you would like to attend, please send me an e-mail.
- A new journal, EAI Endorsed Transactions on Creative Technologies is initiated to create synergies between computational arts, applied sciences and creative industries. The journal solicits long and short papers now, and it is both open access and free for the authors.
- We are organizing the 15th Int. Society of Scientometrics and Informetrics Conference in Istanbul, 22-26 June 2015. Send me an e-mail if you need to discuss issues related to ISSI.
- The Istanbul European Choir won the Donizetti award for the best choir (selected by the jury) and the best classical ensemble (public vote) in Turkey.
- I will be co-chairing the 16th ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction with Jeffrey Cohn (Univ. of Pittsburgh) and Björn Schuller (Technical Univ. of Munich), to be held in Istanbul in November 2014. The website just went live.
- The Cognitive Science Laboratory acquired a 32-channel EEG recording system, an FNIRS system, and related biosensors. If you have a project idea, please get in touch with me.
- 5th Int. Workshop on Emotion, Social Signals, Sentiment & Linked Open Data (ES3LOD), Reykjavik, 26-31 May, 2014.
- 16th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Heraklion, 22-27 June 2014.
- IEEE Int. Conference on Multimedia & Expo, Chengdu, 14-18 July, 2014.
- 6th International ICST Conference on Intelligent Technologies for Interactive Entertainment (INTETAIN), Chicago, 911 July, 2014.
- Int. Workshop on Face and Facial Expression Recognition from Real World Videos, Stockholm, 24 August, 2014.
- IEEE/IAPR International Joint Conference on Biometrics, Clearwater (Tampa), 29 September - 2 October, 2014.
- The Cognitive Science program of Bogazici University signed an Erasmus agreement with Tilburg Center for Cognition and Communication (TiCC), as well as with University of Trento.
- The UvA-NEMO Smile database went public! See the website for details on how to obtain it, and check here the coverage in the media.
- My e-mail addresses from CWI and Univ. of Amsterdam do not work anymore, please update your address book with my Boğaziçi University address.
- 11th Int. Cognitive Neuroscience Congress, 2-4 May 2014, Istanbul.
- A big thank you to everybody who participated in our Science Live experiment at NEMO Museum of Science!
Learn more about our experiment on
the effect of dynamic information for facial age and expression estimation here (in Dutch) and here (in English). The public report (in Dutch) can be downloaded here.
- Pattern recognition and machine learning
- Biometrics - 3D face recognition, fusion of multiple biometrics
- Natural and artificial vision, selective attention
- Digital humanities
- Ambient intelligence, sensor networks
- Unsupervised learning and feature extraction
- Cognitive science and philosophy of mind
- Semiotics and biosemiotics
- Aslantas, G., F. Gürgen, A.A. Salah, "GA-NN Approach for ECG feature selection in rule based arrythmia classification", Neural Networks World, vol.3, no.14, pp.267-283, 2014.
- Akdag Salah, A.A., L. Manovich, A.A. Salah and J. Chow, "Combining Cultural Analytics and Networks Analysis: Studying a Social Network Site with User-Generated Content," Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Volume 57, Issue 3, pp. 409-426, 2013. The high resolution images can be downloaded here: 1, 2, 3.
- Akdag Salah, A., A.A. Salah, "Flow of Innovation in deviantArt: Following Artists on an Online Social Network Site," Mind and Society, Volume 12, Issue 1, pp. 137-149, 2013.
- Yucel, Z., A.A. Salah, C. Mericli, T. Mericli, R. Valenti, Th. Gevers, "Joint Attention by Gaze Interpolation and Saliency," IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol.43(3), pp.829-842, 2013. Data and ground truth annotations are here.
- Akdag Salah, A., A.A. Salah, B. Buter, N. Dijkshoorn, D. Modolo, Q. Nguyen, S. van Noort, B. van de Poel, "DeviantArt in Spotlight: A Network of Artists," Leonardo, Vol. 45, No. 5, 2012.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "A Statistical
Method for 2D Facial Landmarking," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 21(2), 844-858, 2012.
- Buter, B., N. Dijkshoorn, D. Modolo, Q. Nguyen, S. van Noort, B. van de Poel, A.A. Akdağ Salah, A.A. Salah, "Explorative visualization and analysis of a social network for arts: The case of deviantArt
", Journal of Convergence, vol.2, no.2, pp.87-94, 2011.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., M. Ortega Hortas, I. Kosunen, P. Zuzanek, A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Design and Implementation of an Affect-Responsive Interactive Photo Frame," Journal on Multimodal User Interfaces, vol.4, no.2, pp.81-95, 2011.
- Poh, N., Chan, C.H., Kittler, J., Marcel, S., Mc Cool, C., Argones Rua, E., Alba Castro, J.L., Villegas, M., Paredes, R., Struc, V., Pavesic, N., Salah, A.A., Fang, H., Costen, N., "An Evaluation of Video-to-Video Face Verification," IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security, vol. 5, no. 4, 781-801, 2010.
- Salah, A.A., E. Pauwels, R. Tavenard, Th. Gevers, "T-Patterns Revisited: Mining for Temporal Patterns in Sensor Data," Sensors 2010, 10(8), 7496-7513; doi:10.3390/s100807496
- Poh, N., T. Bourlai, J. Kittler, L. Allano, F. Alonso, O. Ambekar, J. Baker, B. Dorizzi, O. Fatukasi, J. Fierrez, H. Ganster, J.-O. Garcia, D. Maurer, A.A. Salah, T. Scheidat, C. Vielhauer, "Benchmarking Quality-Dependent and Cost-sensitive Multimodal Biometric Fusion Algorithms," IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security, vol. 4, no. 4, 849-866, 2009.
- Salah, A.A., R. Morros, J. Luque, C. Segura, J. Hernando, O. Ambekar, B. Schouten, E.J. Pauwels, "Multimodal identification and localization of users in a smart environment," Journal on
Multimodal User Interfaces, vol 2, no 2, pp-72-91, 2008.
- Akdağ Salah, A.A., A.A. Salah, "Technoscience
Art: A Bridge between Neuroesthetics and Art History?," Review of General Psychology, vol 12(2), pp.147-158, 2008.
- Salah, A.A., N. Alyüz, L. Akarun, "Registration of 3D Face Scans with Average Face
Models", Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 17, 011006, 2008. doi:10.1117/1.2896291.
- Salah, A.A., H. Çinar, L. Akarun, B. Sankur, "Robust Facial Landmarking for
Registration", Annals of Telecommunications, vol.62, no.1-2, pp.1608-1633, 2007.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydın, L. Akarun, "A Selective Attention Based Method for Visual
Pattern Recognition with Application to Handwritten Digit Recognition and Face Recognition," IEEE Trans. Pattern
Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 420-425, March 2002.
- Salah, A.A., P.-Y. Oudeyer, Ç. Mericli, J. Ruiz-del-Solar, "Behavior Understanding and Developmental Robotics," IEEE Trans. Autonomous Mental Development, vol.6, no.2, June 2014.
- Salah, A.A., B.A.M. Schouten, S. Göbel, B. Arnrich, "Playful Interactions and Serious Games," Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, May 2014.
- Salah, A.A., B. Lepri, A. Pentland, J. Canny, "Understanding and Changing Behavior", IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol 12, no 3, pp.18-20, July-Sept. 2013.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, A. Vinciarelli, "Introduction to the Affect-Based Human Behavior Understanding Special Issue, IEEE Trans. Affective Computing, Vol.2, No.2, 64-65, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, N. Sebe, A. Vinciarelli, "Computer vision for ambient intelligence," Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, Vol.3, No.3, 187-191, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., T. Dutoit, "Enriching the user experience with multimodal interfaces", Journal on Multimodal User Interfaces, vol.4, no.2, pp.59-60, 2011.
- Park, H.S., A.A. Salah, Y.J. Lee, L.-P. Morency, Y. Sheikh, R. Cucchiara, "Human Behavior Understanding," Proceedings Fifth Int. Workshop, HBU 2014, Zürich, Switzerland, September 12, 2014, LNCS 8749, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., H. Hung, O. Aran, H. Gunes, "Human Behavior Understanding," Proceedings Fourth Int. Workshop, HBU 2013, Barcelona, Spain, October 22, 2013, LNCS 8212, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Augusto, J.C., R. Wichert, R. Collier, D. Keyson, A.A. Salah, A.-H. Tan, "Ambient Intelligence," Proceedings Fourth Int. Joint Conference, AmI 2013, Dublin, December 3-5, 2013, LNCS 8309, Springer Verlag.
- Salah, A.A., J. Ruiz-del-Solar, C. Mericli, P.-Y. Oudeyer, "Human Behavior Understanding," Proceedings Third Int. Workshop, HBU 2012, Algarve, Portugal, October 7, 2012, LNCS 7559, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., B. Lepri, "Human Behavior Understanding," Proceedings Second Int. Workshop, HBU 2011, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, November 16, 2011, LNCS 7065, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, Computer Analysis of Human Behavior, Springer Verlag, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, Proceedings of
the eNTERFACE'10 Summer Workshop on Multimodal Interfaces, University of Amsterdam, 2010.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, N. Sebe, A. Vinciarelli, "Human Behavior Understanding," Proceedings First Int. Workshop,
HBU 2010, Istanbul, Turkey, August 22, 2010, LNCS 6219, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., H. Hung, O. Aran, H. Gunes, "Creative applications of human behavior understanding", HBU 2013, LNCS 8212, pp.1-14, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Salah, A.A., J. Ruiz-del-Solar, C. Mericli, P.-Y. Oudeyer, "Human Behavior Understanding for Robotics", HBU 2012, LNCS 7559, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Lepri, B., A.A. Salah, F. Pianesi and A.S. Pentland, "Human Behavior Understanding for Inducing Behavioral Change: Social and Theoretical Aspects," in R. Wichert, K. van Laerhoven, J. Gelissen (eds.) AmI 2011 Workshops, CCIS 277, pp.252-263, 2012.
- Schouten, B.A.M., A.A. Salah, R. van Kranenburgh, "Behavioural Biometrics and Human Identity," in E. Mordini, D. Tzovaras (eds.), Second Generation Biometrics: The Ethical, Legal and Social Context, The International Library of Ethics, Law and Technology, Vol. 11, Part 3, pp. 195-214, DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-3892-8_9, Springer Science+Business Media B.V., 2012.
- Salah, A.A., B. Lepri, F. Pianesi, A. Pentland, "Human Behavior Understanding for Inducing Behavioral Change: Application Perspectives", HBU 2011, LNCS 7065, 1-15, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., N. Sebe, Th. Gevers, "Communication and automatic interpretation of
affect from facial expressions," in D. Gökçay & G. Yıldırım (eds.), Affective Computing and Interaction:
Psychological, Cognitive and Neuroscientific Perspectives, Chap. 8, IGI Global, pp.157-183, 2010.
- Salah, A.A., Th. Gevers, N. Sebe, A. Vinciarelli, "Challenges of human behavior
understanding," HBU 2010, LNCS 6219, 1-12, 2010.
- Salah, A.A., "Machine Learning for Biometrics," E. Soria, J.D. Martin, M.Martinez, R. Magdalena, A.J. Serrano
(eds.), Handbook of Research on Machine Learning
- Archer, C., M. Hochstenbach, K. Hoede, G. Meinsma, H. Meijer, A.A. Salah, C. Stolk, T. Swist, J. Zyprych, "Neural spike sorting with spatio-temporal features", in O. Bokhove, J. Hurink, G. Meinsma, C.
Stolk, M. Vellekoop (eds.) "Proceedings of the Sixty-third European Study Group Mathematics with Industry", pp.21-46,
- Gökberk, B., A.A. Salah, N. Alyüz, L. Akarun, "3D Face Recognition: Technology and Applications," M. Tistarelli,
S.Z. Li, R. Chellappa (eds.) Handbook of Remote Biometrics for
Surveillance and Security, Springer-Verlag, London, 2009.
- Salah, A.A., "Perceptual Fusion in Humans and Machines" in O.
Tanrıdağ (ed.), "Cognitive Neuroscience at Marmaris - An Interdisciplinary Book on Selected Themes From The Previous
Meetings 2005-2007," Pharmapublication Planning, Istanbul, 2008.
- Gökberk, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, R. Etheve, D. Riccio, J.-L. Dugelay, "3D Face Recognition" in D.
Petrovska-Delacretaz, G. Chollet, B. Dorizzi (eds.), Guide to Biometric Reference Systems and Performance
Evaluation, Springer-Verlag, London, 2008.
- Tistarelli, M., M. Bicego, J.L. Alba-Castro, D. Gonzalez-Jimenez, A. Mellakh, A.A. Salah, D. Petrovska-Delacretaz,
B. Dorizzi, "2D Face Recognition" in D. Petrovska-Delacretaz, G. Chollet, B. Dorizzi (eds.), Guide to Biometric Reference Systems and Performance
Evaluation, Springer-Verlag, London, 2008.
International Conference and Workshop Papers
- Kaya, H., A.A. Salah, "Eyes Whisper Depression: A CCA Based Multimodal Approach," ACM Multimedia, Orlando, November 3-7, 2014.
- Kaya, H., F. Çilli, A.A. Salah, "Ensemble CCA for Continuous Emotion Prediction," The 4th Int. Audio/Visual Emotion Challenge and Workshop (AVEC), Orlando, November 7, 2014.
- Kaya, H., T. Özkaptan, A.A. Salah, S.F. Gürgen, "Canonical Correlation Analysis and Local Fisher Discriminant Analysis based Multi-View Acoustic Feature Reduction for Physical Load Prediction," INTERSPEECH, Singapore, September 14-18, 2014.
- Demiröz, B.E., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Coupling Fall Detection and Tracking in Omnidirectional Cameras," 5th Int. Workshop on Human Behavior Understanding (HBU@ECCV), Zürich, September 12, 2014
- Dibeklioğlu, H., T. Gevers, M. Lucassen, A.A. Salah, "The Role of Color and Contrast in Facial Age Estimation," 5th Int. Workshop on Human Behavior Understanding (HBU@ECCV), Zürich, September 12, 2014
- Güneysu, A., D. Siyli, A.A. Salah, " Auto-Evaluation of Motion Imitation in a Child-Robot Imitation Game for Upper Arm Rehabilitation," IEEE International Symposium on
Robot and Human Interactive Communication, Edinburgh, August 25-29, 2014.
- Kocberber, C., A.A. Salah, "Video Retargeting: Video Saliency and Optical Flow Based Hybrid Approach," 3rd Workshop on Intelligent Cinematography and Editing (at AAAI), Quebec City, July 27, 2014.
- Kaya, H., F. Eyben, A.A. Salah, B.W. Schuller, "CCA Based Feature Selection with Application to Continuous Depression Recognition from Acoustic Speech Features," Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Florence, 4-9 May, 2014.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Like Father, Like Son: Facial Expression Dynamics for Kinship Verification," Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV), Sydney, 3-6 December 2013.
- Derman, E., Y.K. Gecici, A.A. Salah, "Short Term Face Recognition for Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) Users," Int. Conf. on Electronics, Computer and Computation (ICECCO), Ankara, 2013.
- Görer, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akın, "A Robotic Fitness Coach for The Elderly", Int. Joint Conference on Ambient Intelligence, Dublin, 2013.
- Kaya, H., A.M. Erçetin, A.A. Salah, S. F. Gürgen, "Random Forests for Laughter Detection", 1st Workshop on Affective Social Speech Signals, Grenoble, 22-23 August 2013.
- Işıkdoğan, F., A.A. Salah, "Affine invariant salient patch descriptors for image retrieval," International Workshop on Image and Audio Analysis for Multimedia Interactive Services (WIA2MIS), Paris, July 2013.
- Balci, K., A.A. Salah, "Player profiling and offender classification from player complaints in online social games", Workshop on Design and Evaluation of Sociability in Online Games at CHI, Paris, 2013.
- Akdag Salah, A.A., A. Scharnhorst, O. ten Bosch, P. Doorn, L. Manovich, A.A. Salah and J. Chow, "Significance of Visual Interfaces in Institutional and User-Generated Databases with Category Structures," 5th International Workshop on Personalized Access to Cultural Heritage (PATCH 2012), Nara, 2012
- Dibeklioğlu, H., Th. Gevers, A.A. Salah, R. Valenti, "A smile can reveal your age: Enabling facial dynamics in age estimation," ACM Multimedia, Nara, 2012.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Are You Really Smiling at Me? Spontaneous versus Posed Enjoyment Smiles," in A. Fitzgibbon et al. (Eds.): ECCV 2012, Part III, LNCS 7574, pp. 526539, Firenze, 2012.
- Akdag Salah, A.A., A.A. Salah, J. Douglass, L. Manovich, "Exploring Originality in User-Generated Content with Network and Image Analysis Tools," Digital Humanities, Hamburg, 2012.
- Tomlinson, B., J. Ross, P. André, E.P.S. Baumer, D.J. Patterson, J. Corneli, M. Mahaux, S. Nobarany, M. Lazzari, P. Penzenstadler, A.W. Torrance, D.J. Callele, G.M. Olson, M.S. Silberman, M. Ständer, F.R. Palamedi, A. Salah, E. Morrill, X. Franch, F. Mueller, J. Kaye, R.W. Black, M.L. Cohn, P.C. Shih, J. Brewer, N. Goyal, P. Näkki, J. Huang, N. Baghaei, and C. Saper. Massively Distributed Authorship of Academic Papers, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) Extended Abstracts (alt.chi), 11-20, 2012.
- Demiröz, B.E., O. Eroğlu, I. Arı, A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Feature based tracking on a multi-omnidirectional camera dataset," 5th International Symposium on Communications, Control, and Signal Processing (ISCCSP), Rome, 2012.
- Salah, A.A., M. Pantic, A. Vinciarelli, "Recent Developments in Social Signal Processing", IEEE Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Anchorage, 2011.
- Salah, A.A., J. Han, E. Pauwels, P. de Zeeuw, "Multimodal monitoring of cultural heritage sites and the FIRESENSE project," IEEE ISABEL, Barcelona, 2011.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., R. Valenti, A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Eyes Do Not Lie: Spontaneous vs. Posed Smiles", ACM Multimedia, Firenze, 2010.
- Yücel, Z., A.A. Salah, Ç. Meriçli, T. Meriçli, "Joint Visual Attention Modeling for Naturally Interacting Robotic Agents," 24th International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences (ISCIS'09), Northern Cyprus, 2009.
- Yücel, Z., A.A. Salah, "Resolution of focus of attention using gaze direction estimation and saliency computation," Int. Conference on Affective Computing & Intelligent Interaction, Amsterdam, 2009.
- Salah, A.A., B. Schouten, "Semiosis and the relevance of context for the AmI environment", 9th European Conference on Computing and Philosophy (ECAP'09), Barcelona, 2009.
- Yücel, Z., A.A. Salah, "Head pose and neural network based gaze direction estimation for joint attention modeling in embodied agents," 31st Annual Conference of Cognitive Science Society (CogSci'09), Amsterdam, 2009.
- Poh, N., C.H. Chan, J. Kittler, S. Marcel, C. Mc Cool, E. Argones Rua, J.L. Alba Castro, M. Villegas, R.
Paredes, V. Struc, N. Pavesic, A.A. Salah, H. Fang, N. Costen, "Face Video Competition," The 3rd IAPR/IEEE Int. Conf. on Biometrics (ICB'09), Alghero, 2009.
- Ananthakrishnan, G., H. Dibeklioğlu, M. Lojka, A. Lopez, S. Perdikis, U. Saeed, A.A. Salah, D. Tzovaras, A.
Vogiannou, "Activity-Related Biometric Authentication," Proc. 4th
eNTERFACE Workshop, pp.56-72, Orsay, August 2008.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "3D Facial Landmarking under
Expression, Pose, and Occlusion Variations," IEEE Second International
Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS'08), Washington, Sept. 29-Oct.1, 2008.
- Schouten, B., A.A. Salah, "Empowering the End-user in Biometrics," 10th
IEEE Int. Conf. on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV'08), Hanoi, 17-20 December, 2008.
- Alyüz, N., B. Gökberk, H. Dibeklioğlu, A. Savran, A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, B. Sankur, "3D Face Recognition Benchmarks on the Bosphorus Database with Focus on Facial
Expressions" in Proc. First European Workshop on Biometrics and Identity Management (BIOID'08), Roskilde, 7-9 May,
- Tavenard, R., A.A. Salah, E.J. Pauwels, "Searching for
Temporal Patterns in AmI Sensor Data," in M. Muhlhauser, A. Ferscha, E. Aitenbichler (eds.), "Constructing Ambient
Intelligence: AmI-07 Workshops Proceedings", LNCS, Darmstadt, Germany, 7-10 November, 2007.
- Pauwels, E., A.A. Salah, R. Tavenard, "Sensor Networks for Ambient
Intelligence," Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP), Crete, October 2007.
- Bicego, M., A.A. Salah, E. Grosso, M. Tistarelli, L. Akarun,"Generalization in
Holistic versus Analytic Processing of Faces," 14th Int. Conf. on Image
Analysis and Processing, Modena, Italy, 10-14 September, 2007.
- Morros, R., A.A. Salah, B. Schouten, C.S. Perales, J.L. Serrano, O. Ambekar, C. Kayalar, C. Keskin, L. Akarun,
"Event recognition for meaningful human-computer interaction in a smart environment," Proc. 3rd eNTERFACE Workshop, pp.
71-86, Istanbul, August 2007.
- Salah, A.A., N. Alyüz, L. Akarun, "Alternative face models for 3D face
registration," in SPIE Conf. on Electronic Imaging, Vision Geometry, San Jose, January 2007.
- Salah, A.A., M. Bicego, L. Akarun, E. Grosso, M. Tistarelli, "Hidden Markov
Model-based face recognition using selective attention," in SPIE Conf. on Human Vision and Electronic Imaging, San
Jose, January 2007.
- Salah, A.A., L. Akarun, "3D Facial Feature Localization for Registration," International Workshop on Multimedia Content Representation, Classification
and Security (MRCS), September 2006.
- Salah, A.A., B. Gökberk, L. Akarun, J.R. Tena, M. Hamouz, J. Kittler, M. Bicego, E. Grosso, M. Tistarelli, "3D
face verification using shape and texture/3D face registration and landmark localization," Biosecure Workshop, Vigo,
- Salah, A.A., L. Akarun, "Factor Analysis Based Robust 3D Facial Landmarking", 3. Summer School for Advanced
Studies on Biometrics for Secure Authentication: New Sensors, Evaluation and Database Collection, Alghero, June 2006.
- Çınar Akakin, H., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, B. Sankur, "2D/3D facial feature
extraction", in Proc. SPIE Conf. on Electronic Imaging, San Jose, 2006.
- Akarun, L., B. Gökberk, A.A. Salah, "3D Face Recognition for Biometric
Applications", in Proc. European Signal Processing Conference, Antalya,
- Gökberk, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Rank-based Decision Fusion for 3D
Shape-based Face Recognition," in Takeo Kanade, Anil Jain, Nalini K. Ratha (eds.) Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 3546/2005 Audio- and
Video-Based Biometric Person Authentication: 5th International Conference, AVBPA 2005.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydın, "Incremental Mixtures of Factor Analyzers," in Proc.
International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR04), vol.1, pp.276-279, Cambridge, 2004.
- Salah, A.A., S. Redman, G. Kovacs, "Clustering under Multiobjective
Optimization Constraints with Genetic Algorithms" in Proc. of the Santa Fe Complex Systems Summer School, Santa Fe, NM: SFI, 2002.
- Labiouse, C., A.A. Salah, I. Starikova, "The Impact of
Connectivity on the Memory Capacity and the Retrieval Dynamics of Hopfield-type Networks" in Proc. of the Santa Fe
Complex Systems Summer School, Santa Fe, NM: SFI, pp.77-84, 2002.
- Banerjee, N., Z. Dezso, V. Kolyadin, A. Marhan, A.A. Salah, "Lunch Network: A Glimpse of Social Dynamics of
SFI Students" in Proc. of the Santa Fe Complex Systems Summer School, Santa Fe, NM: SFI, 2002.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydın, L. Akarun, "A Selective Attention Based Method for Visual
Pattern Recognition," in Moore, J.D., and Stenning, K. (eds.) Proc. 23rd Annual Conference of Cognitive Science
Society, pp. 881-886, Edinburgh, August 2001.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydın, L. Akarun, "A Selective Attention Based Optical Recognition of Handwritten Digits,"
Proceedings of the First IEEE Balkan Conference on Signal Processing, Communications, Circuits and Systems, 2000.
- Görer, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akin, Gesture imitation for a robotic fitness coach, IEEE SIU, Girne, 2013.
- Dibeklioglu, H., A.A. Salah, T. Gevers, Age Estimation Using Facial Expression Dynamics, IEEE SIU, Girne, 2013.
- Demiröz, B.E., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, Fall Detection Using Multi-Omnidirectional Cameras, IEEE SIU, Girne, 2013.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., A.A. Salah, T. Gevers, "User Adaptation Based on Facial Expression and Motion for an Interactive Artifact," IEEE SIU 2012, Fethiye, 2012.
- Demiröz, B.E., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Multi-Omnidirectional Cameras for Ambient Intelligence," IEEE SIU 2012, Fethiye, 2012.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., R. Valenti, A.A. Salah, Th. Gevers, "Classification of Spontaneous and Posed Smiles," IEEE SIU 2011, Antalya, 2011.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., A.A. Salah, T. Gevers, "Automatic Landmarking and Alignment for Facial Expression Analysis," IEEE SIU 2010, Diyarbakir, 2010.
- Yücel, Z., A.A. Salah, Ç. Meriçli, T. Meriçli, "Derivation of Gaze Direction from Head Pose Estimates," IEEE SIU 2010, Diyarbakir, 2010.
- Alyüz, N., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "3D
Face Registration: Using Multiple Average Models," Lambert Academic Publishing, 2009.
- Dibeklioğlu, H., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Expression, Pose and Occlusion Resistant 3D Facial Landmarking," IEEE SIU 2009, Antalya, 2009. (Recipient of Alper Atalay 2nd best student paper award)
- Salah, A.A., "Face Authentication for an Activity-Related Biometrics System," IEEE SIU 2009 Antalya, 2009.
- Pauwels, E., A.A. Salah, P. de Zeeuw, "Tackling the
Semantic Gap in Sensor Networks, "ERCIM News, Number 76, January 2009.
- Salah, A.A., "A Needle in the Brain," ERCIM News,
Number 73, April 2008.
- Salah, A.A., E.J. Pauwels, "Prediction and Voronoi graph construction with a dense network of simple sensors", IEEE SIU 2008, 20-22 April 2008, Didim, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., A.P. Saygın, "Retinotopy and Selective Visual Attention in Humans and Computers", IEEE SIU 2008, 20-22 April 2008, Didim, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., "Algısal Tümleştirme", Dördüncü Bilgi Işleyen Makina Olarak Beyin
Sempozyumu, 4-5 Nisan 2008, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., "Perceptual Information Fusion in Humans and Machines," Cognitive Neuroscience Forum, vol.2,
- Alyüz, N., Salah, A.A., L. Akarun, "Alternative average face models for 3D face registration," IEEE SIU 2007, 11-13 June, Eskişehir, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., "Insan ve Bilgisayarda Yüz Tanıma," Uluslararası Kognitif
Nörobilim Sempozyumu, Mayıs 2006, Marmaris, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., L. Akarun, "Gabor Factor Analysis for 2D+3D Facial Landmark Localization," IEEE SIU 2006, 17-19 Nisan 2006, Antalya, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., B. Gökberk, L. Akarun, "3D Face Recognition", Proceedings of the Fifth GAP Engineering Congress, 26-28 April
2006, Şanlıurfa, Turkey.
- Salah, A.A., "Insan ve Bilgisayarda Yüz Tanıma", Üçüncü Bilgi Işleyen Makina Olarak Beyin Sempozyumu, 24 Aralık
2005, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Gökberk, B., A.A. Salah, L. Akarun, "Üç Boyutlu Şekil
Bilgisiyle Yüz Tanımada Sıralamaya Dayalı Karar Birleştirimi", IEEE SIU 2005.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydın, "Incremental Mixtures of
Factor Analyzers," Technical Report, FBE/CMPE-01/2004-7,
Department of Computer Engineering, Boğaziçi University, 2004. (This is the longer version of the ICPR'04 paper).
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydın, L. Akarun, "Selective
Attention Based Pattern Recognition," Technical Report, FBE/CMPE-03/2001-12,
Department of Computer Enginnering, Boğaziçi University, 2001.
- Salah, A.A., A Selective Attention Based Method for Optical
Handwritten Digit Recognition (M.S. Thesis - 2000)
- Salah, A.A., Collective Intelligence, Panel Discussion at the 7th International Istanbul Biennial, September 23,
2001 with Peter Gardenfors, Kazuhiko Hachiya, and Rafael Lozano-Hemmer. (download talk in DOC format/Teknotürk'te çıkan yazı için
tıklayın: Istanbul Bienali'nde Bir Panel: Kolektif
- Akın, L., A.A. Salah, Boğaziçi
Üniversitesi'ndeki Robot Araştırmaları - Geleceğe Giden Yol, Teknotürk.
- Salah, A.A., E. Alpaydın, L. Akarun, "A Selective Attention Based Recognition Framework with Application to
Handwritten Numerals," Proceedings of the Ninth Turkish Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks (TAINN), 2000.
- Salah, A.A., "An Evolutionary Algorithm Tool in Smalltalk" (B.S. Thesis - 1998)
Face recognition has been an active area of study for both computer
vision and image processing communities, not only for biometrics but
also for human-computer interaction applications. The purpose of the
present work is to evaluate the existing 3D face recognition techniques
and seek biologically motivated methods to improve them. We especially
look at findings in psychophysics and cognitive science for insights.
We propose a biologically motivated computational model, and focus on
the earlier stages of the model, whose performance is critical for the
later stages. Our emphasis is on automatic localization of facial
features. We first propose a strong unsupervised learning algorithm for
flexible and automatic training of Gaussian mixture models and use it
in a novel feature-based algorithm for facial fiducial point
localization. We also propose a novel structural correction algorithm
to evaluate the quality of landmarking and to localize fiducial points
under adverse conditions. We test the effects of automatic landmarking
under rigid and non-rigid registration methods. For the rigid
registration approach, we implement the iterative closest point method
(ICP). The most important drawback of ICP is the computational cost of
registering a test scan to each scan in the gallery. By using an
average face model in rigid registration, we show that the computation
bottleneck can be eliminated. Following psychophysical arguments on the
"other race effect", we reason that organizing faces into different
gender and morphological groups will help us in designing more
discriminative classifiers. We test this claim by employing different
average face models for dense registration. We propose a shape-based
clustering approach that assigns faces into groups with nondescript
gender and race. Finally, we propose a regular re-sampling step that
increases the speed and the accuracy significantly. These components
make up a full 3D face recognition system.
This work was the recipient of the European Biometrics Forum 2006 Biometrics Research Award. It was supported by the
- 3D Object Recognition, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), Project Code:
- Perceptual Human Computer Interaction, T.R. Prime Ministry State Planning Organization (DPT), Project Code:
FP6 network of excellence project on multimodal biometrics.
Master Thesis - Selective Attention Based Pattern Recognition
The human visual mechanism, which develops in parallel with the brain,
is physically very complex and functions in a very efficient manner.
Human vision is mainly a serial process, in that we do not absorb the
whole information content of the visual field at once, but selectively
attend to locations that have low probability, and thus contain more
information. Our aim is to model this process in a biologically
plausible framework to achieve some of the desired properties of
natural visual systems.
- The IMoFA algorithm (incremental mixtures of factor analyzers) in MATLAB (download). This
algorithm performs automatic clustering and model selection in an unsupervised manner. The model is basically a
Gaussian mixture, but from a complexity point of view, the output will be between a diagonal-covariance GMM and a
full-covariance GMM, thanks to the latent variable assumptions. The demonstration code models the Iris data with IMoFA,
and shows how classification can be effected with the trained models.
- The GOLLUM algorithm (Gaussian outlier localization with likelihood margins) in MATLAB (download). GOLLUM is a morphological algorithm that learns landmark distributions for the purpose
of detecting and correcting a given landmark constellation, irrespective of the underlying feature distribution. It can
be used for detecting landmark localization errors automatically, providing expected locations for landmarks, and for
correcting a given landmark location based on other landmarks. The provided code uses the Levenberg-Marquard algorithm
from the Optimization Toolbox of MATLAB, but this step can be replaced with a custom algorithm. The demonstration code
shows how to operate GOLLUM to correct randomly corrupted facial landmark data.
- A Genetic Algorithm Package for Dolphin Smalltalk (download)
- Latrunculli Game in SWI-Prolog (contains a
stand-alone genetic algorithm module)
Summer and Spring Schools, Workshops
- The eNTERFACE Workshop, Amsterdam, 12 July - 6 August, 2010.
- The eNTERFACE Workshop, LIMSI, Orsay, 4-29 August, 2008.
- Study Group Mathematics with Industry 2008, Twente, 28
January - 1 February, 2008.
- The eNTERFACE Workshop, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul,
July 16-August 10, 2007.
- Biosecure Workshop in Vigo, Spain, 13-15
- Biologically Inspired Information Fusion
Workshop, Surrey, 22-23 August, 2006.
- Geometric Morphometrics Workshop, Ankara, June 12-16, 2006.
- Summer School for Advanced Studies on Biometrics for Secure
Authentication: New Sensors, Evaluation and Database Collection, Alghero, June 5-9, 2006.
- Santa Fe
Institute Complex Systems Summer School, Budapest, July 8 to August 2, 2002.
- 8th International Summer School on Cognitive Science at
New Bulgarian University, Sofia, July 9-30, 2001.
- BISC European School on Intelligent Data Analysis, Palermo,
March 26-30, 2001.
- 7th International Summer School on Cognitive Science at
New Bulgarian University, Sofia, July 10-30, 2000.
Invitation to Cognitive Science
Would you be interested in a Cognitive Science program in Boğaziçi University? Visit the M.A. Program in Cognitive Science webpage.
Last Updated: Aug. 2013